What I want to see in the Wheel of Time TV Show

Hello and welcome to the Wheel of Time blog! There are no beginnings or endings to the Blog of Time. But this is a beginning. This blog will be dedicated to not just the Wheel of Time but all fantasy stories over the next coming months but for now with the Wheel of Time Amazon show coming up and directors/writers picked out I want to focus on my favorite story of all Time (every pun intended). I’ve been reading Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time pretty much nonstop on loop since 2001. I am at all periods either reading or listening to one of the books. Even when I am reading another book, I will take a break to read a Wheel of Time story. I’ve had to rebuy The Eye of the World at least twice from overuse and I bring a copy with me on every vacation I go on (I read the first book on the beach during my honeymoon just to say I did). With the Kindle app I have the books on my phone at all times. Whenever I have my first child I will definitely slip the name Perrin or Egwene to my wife as a name suggestion, who will immediately ignore me. Needless to say when I heard Amazon picked up Wheel of Time and I read about how much the showrunners and writers love the books I have been crazy excited. I truly believe from what I’ve seen online that they will do a good job because they’ve been fans of the stories for so long.
Being the stories are so large and the amount of characters so wildly vast it would be ridiculous of me to expect a word for word account translated from the books to the show. That being said, every week I am going to post my top ten scenes from the books that I would love to see in the show starting with The Eye of the World and at week 14 A Memory of Light. I will also post some scenes I don’t really care to see. Post and comment what you think and if I missed any scenes you would like to definitely be shot.
Warning…..There will be spoilers so if you don’t know what’s heavier than a mountain yet go read the first book. Without any further ado let’s toss the dice:
1. Lews Therin losing his mind to start the Breaking. Obviously this opening scene is crazy important in the books. It sets the scene for who the Dragon Reborn is and why men no longer can channel. It should answer for the audience where the name “Kinslayer” comes from. Something that is amazing about the Wheel of Time is how the stories within the story get passed down to the current generation and how Lews Therin’s legend and infamy grew. I would like the show to really set how current people in the WOT world fear the Dragon and why. I also hope it’s about three trillion times better than that pilot that aired a few years ago.
2. Rand walking down the road with Tam and Bela. One of my favorite opening scenes of a book for setting up the main character (arguably the main character although I count Perrin and Mat equal in other books). I love how much fear Rand has of Fades for the first few books and seeing that progress throughout the series to him destroying thousands of them at once.
3. Rand meeting up with Mat, Perrin, Egwene, Nynaeve, and Thom. I want it to be clear how long Rand, Mat and Perrin have been friends and where the relationship with Egwene is now. I also love how afraid they all are of Nynaeve and how Thom is introduced to the group. Mat agreeing to help Rand and hearing how he put flour on Master Luhan’s dogs is a great intro into Mat’s character.
4. Moiraine talking to Emond’s Field about the history of Manetheren. One of the best story telling scenes in the book. In my mind it’s probably where Thom first fell in love with Moiraine because she tops any story telling Thom did that I could see in any of the books. Not only did she get a mob to apologize to her, she got them ready for what was to come in Shadows Rising
5. Min telling Rand about the future. Min is such a great character in the books and I hope they do her justice. I don’t know how the show runners are going to balance three love interests for Rand but hopefully they will pace it right. Min really foreshadows here what will happen in the rest of the series and gives some mystery for fans to think about until the very last book
6. Shadar Logoth. I feel that Shadar Logoth is a very important city throughout the series. It gives us an opportunity to see Rand, Perrin and Mat as boys who really know nothing of the world. It sets up how Padan Fain becomes more than just ordinary evil and Mat gets that pesky dagger which leads to him losing memories and eventually getting his memories filled with those of legit battle lords.
7. Perrin first talks to wolves. Perrin is probably my favorite character in the first 4 books books and talking to wolves is one of the coolest things in the entire series. The whole section with Elyas is a really great first glimpse into Perrin’s point of view. Talking with wolves gives Perrin the ability to compete with channelers powers throughout the series and the extra skills that he gains like sight, hearing and smell are epic.
8. Perrin and Egwene get captured by the Whitecloaks. It's amazing how this scene sets up 13 books worth of issues for Perrin. Not to mention it makes Lan look awesome when he sneaks through and entire camp and takes them out of it.
9. Rand meets Loial. Loial really is an awesome character and Ogier are one of the few non human creatures that aren’t evil that I can think of off hand. I can see how the show might not want to put Ogier in it for awhile, plus it might be expensive to have a CGI character like Loial around that often but he would be dearly missed if he wasn’t in the series.
10. The Green Man. I can see how they might not put the Green Man in because he's only mentioned in this book and briefly in The Shadow Rising Aiel flashback (or is it Fires of Heaven I forget). I would like to see him in the show. It would give depth to Moraine and Lan’s storyline since this would be the second time seeing him and you can technically only find him once.
I know this is only 10 of many scenes in the book. Obviously the battle at the Eye of the World and all the dreams with Ba'alzamon are necessary. Tam getting his Heron marked sword and Narg stopping by the house would definitely be an honorable mention to this list.
I can do without the flashback sequence when Rand and Mat travel to Caemlyn. I also wouldn’t mind if Gawyn never showed up except to lose to Mat in The Dragon Reborn. If you like Gawyn as a character then I don’t really know what to say to you except Blood and Ashes.
Let me know what you think and what scenes you are really looking forward to seeing! Until next week for The Great Hunt make sure you grab some Two Rivers tabac and practice your forms.
#WheelofTime #Amazon #Amazonshow #WOT #EOTW

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert Jordan’s Physics in The Wheel of Time

The Great Hunt Top Ten Scenes for the Amazon show